How does Nissan New Zealand collect and hold your personal information?
Nissan New Zealand will generally collect your personal information directly from you and through its Nissan Dealers to whom you have provided your personal information. Nissan New Zealand may also collect personal information from our website, in promotional activities such as promotional events and competitions, from other directly related companies and from our service providers (such as Roadside Assist).
What does Nissan New Zealand do with your personal information (apart from your consumer credit information)?
We use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
fulfilling our ongoing obligations (including warranty, recall, and roadside assistance) to you as the owner/driver of a vehicle we have imported and distributed;
responding to any inquiries or comments that you submit to us;
customer service requirements and product development purposes;
in the case of Nissan Financial Services New Zealand (“NFS”) deciding whether to offer you additional credit or to renew credit;
any other purpose you have consented to; or
any use which is required or authorised by law.
NFS will only use your credit information:
- to assess your application for credit;
- for purposes directly related to the internal management of your loan or the provision of credit;
- in accordance with the consents and authorities you give in your credit application.
Who will Nissan New Zealand disclose your personal information to?
Nissan New Zealand may disclose your personal information (other than your consumer credit information):
- to its related companies including as between Nissan New Zealand Limited and Nissan Financial Services New Zealand Pty Ltd;
- to the advisors, consultants and contractors we ordinarily engage for the above purposes (such as mailing houses, insurers, printers, lawyers, accountants and other service providers);
- to one or more of our Dealers on condition that they use it for the same purposes as set out above and only in connection with the Nissan dealership franchise;
- any other person or entity to whom you have consented to Nissan New Zealand disclosing your personal information;
- any disclosure which is required or authorised by law, including disclosure of any suspicious or threshold transactions or activities to the relevant authorities; and
- if you have applied for credit from NFS:
- to a credit reporting agency for the purpose of obtaining a credit report about you and/or to allow the credit reporting agency to maintain a credit information file containing information about you;
- to a debt collection agency;
- with your consent, to other credit providers for the purpose of assessing your application for credit; or
- with your consent, to guarantors if a credit arrangement is guaranteed.
Your personal information may be provided to Nissan Australia and to our parent company in Japan. Where your personal information is disclosed to an overseas recipient, we will only do so if we reasonably believe they are subject to laws that protect your personal information in the same or substantially the same way as the Information Privacy Principles.
We will also take adequate measures to ensure that the personal information is handled by the overseas recipient in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and our instructions for the purposes described above.
NFS will only disclose your consumer credit report information to outside persons as permitted by the Privacy Act. Your consumer credit report information will only be disclosed to our Dealers and other third parties with your prior consent.
Your credit information will not be disclosed to a credit reporting agency for the purposes of assessing an application by you for consumer credit without your prior consent.
Nissan New Zealand will take reasonable steps to protect and keep secure the personal information we hold.